Help for Students
I need a PennKey
Step 1: Setup codes are automatically sent to incoming students via email to the address used when you applied. If you feel that you did not receive it, check your junk or spam email folders in case your Setup Code email was transferred there.
Step 2: Use the Setup Code to create your PennKey username and password. Log in to the PennKey registration application with your Setup Code and follow the prompts.
I forgot my PennKey username/password
Your PennKey username is usually identical to your username on your University email account. If you need additional help, use the Forgot My PennKey Username application to retrieve your PennKey username.
If you forgot your password, you must reset it yourself using one of the methods described here. No one can retrieve your password or reset it for you.
- If you previously enrolled in the PennKey Recovery Service, use Reset PennKey Password to reset your password.
- If you're not enrolled in the PennKey Recovery Service, you must obtain a new Setup Code to reset your PennKey password. For security reasons, Setup Codes will not be sent by email or given out over the phone.
- ON-CAMPUS: Visit the correct PennKey administration station with the necessary photo IDs.
- OFF-CAMPUS: Request a setup code using the Setup Code Service. It will be sent to your address of record via postal mail. For security reasons, Setup Codes will not be sent by email or given out over the phone.
TIP: When you reset your password, consider enrolling in the PennKey Recovery Service in order to easily reset a forgotten password online.
My PennKey doesn't work!
Test your PennKey with the Test My PennKey application.
If you can successfully log into the test application:
- Your PennKey username and password are correct and working. You likely lack the necessary authorization to access a PennKey-protected online resource. Contact the owner of that resource for assistance.
If the Test My PennKey application confirms it is not working:
- If you don't know your PennKey username, retrieve it using Forgot My PennKey Username.
- If you forgot your PennKey password and previously enrolled in the PennKey Recovery Service, use Reset PennKey Password to reset your password.
Where's my PennKey Setup Code?
- If you ordered a PennKey Setup Code, use the Setup Code Service to check the status of your request.
- If you believe you should have already received your Setup Code, contact the PennKey Support Team.
- INCOMING STUDENTS: Please note that your initial Setup Code will be automatically sent to you. You do not need to request one.
I want to change my PennKey username
Once a PennKey username is assigned to a person, that username can only be changed under one of the following conditions:
- a legal name change
- a PennName is deemed offensive to the Penn community
- reported email harassment or threats that warrant a change
If you have one of the legitimate reasons above for changing your PennKey username, please contact the IT support staff of your school or center to start the change process.